The new Suez Canal – level 2
The Suez Canal earns Egypt 5 billion US dollars a year. The country says that the new Suez Canal is now finished, and it should increase revenues by 2023 to 15 billion dollars.
Egypt hired six firms to finish the project in a year. The new canal includes a 34-kilometre cut through the desert, and people dredged 35 kilometres of existing bodies of water.
The Egyptian president sees the project as a symbol of national pride for Egypt.
Difficult words: revenue (income), body (an area), dredge (to clear the bed/ground of an area of water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the new Suez Canal?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.