The Tasmanian devil – level 2
The Tasmanian devil is the largest carnivorous marsupial. It can be up to 76 centimetres long and 12 kilograms heavy.
Before 1996, there were around 250,000 devils in the wild. Now, there are only about 10,000 of them. The population dropped so much because of a cancer. This type of cancer is contagious and it can kill a devil in six months. It is a very nasty disease.
People are trying to help the animals – they built a breeding centre in Sydney. A group of 22 healthy devils flew Sydney to Tasmania and people released them back into the wild.
Difficult words: carnivorous (meat-eating), marsupial (an animal like the kangaroo which carries its babies in a pocket of skin on its body), contagious (a person or an animal can catch a contagious disease), breeding centre (a centre where the animals can have babies).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.