Woman saves dogs – level 2
A Chinese pensioner, who was a teacher, is now China’s well-known animal rights activist. Over the past twenty years, she has saved thousands of dogs from the slaughterhouses and the streets.
At her home, she takes care of many dogs who eat 200 kilograms of food every day. To feed the dogs, she sold her house and is in debt of 800,000 yuan. She has many supporters, but people from her town do not like her. They say that eating dogs is normal; it is a Chinese tradition.
The old woman and her helpers buy many dogs to save them from being eaten. Some people take advantage of this – they want to sell dogs to her or her helpers to make money.
Difficult words: pensioner (a person who does not work anymore), slaughterhouse (a place where animals are killed to make meat), debt (if you are in debt, you have someone’s money; in time, you must give back the money), take advantage (to use a situation to help yourself get something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is it OK or not OK to eat dogs? What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Read all today’s articles and translate all words which you don’t understand.
- Read the articles from the day before and see if you remember all new words.
- Listen to all today’s news.
- Stop the video after every sentence and repeat the sentence.
- Repeat point 2 for the news which you listened to the day before.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them into the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for at least 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.