1 Million People Die from COVID-19 – level 2
The number of people who have died from COVID-19 in the world reached one million. The disease broke out nine months ago in Wuhan, China. Since that time, more than 33 million people got sick with the disease.
António Guterres is the secretary general of the United Nations. On September 22nd, he appealed for solidarity among nations. He said that solidarity was important to win the fight with COVID-19. Guterres said that it was impossible to think clearly of one million dead people. However, they were somebody’s family or friends.
Coronavirus has touched the life of almost every person in the world, and it is not clear when it will end. It is important to follow governments’ rules, wear masks, and wash hands. This will help stop the disease.
Difficult words: secretary general (a leader of a large organization), appeal (to request something officially), solidarity (when people help each other).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos