1 Million People Die from COVID-19 – level 3
COVID-19´s death count has surpassed one million globally, which makes it a milestone that comes just nine months after the disease first emerged in China.
Since that moment, more than 33 million people have been diagnosed with the coronavirus, across nearly every country.
António Guterres, the secretary-general of the United Nations, called for solidarity in fighting the virus. He said that the figure was mind-numbing; however, it was necessary to keep thinking of each individual life. Guterres pointed out that the world could overcome COVID-19 if all nations cooperated and learned from mistakes. Almost every person in the world has been affected by the pandemic; however, it seems that it has not drawn people any closer.
In his speech, Guterres said that the disease had no immediate end in sight. Therefore, social distancing, wearing masks, and washing hands were important in order to prevent more loss.
Difficult words: surpass (to be greater than something), milestone (an important event in a series of events), solidarity (the act of showing support for each other), mind-numbing (when something is so bad or intense that it is impossible to think about it clearly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.