10 Million Meals – level 2
The Burj Khalifa in the United Arab Emirates, UAE, is the world’s tallest building. It is about 2,700 feet tall, and it became a symbol of an important campaign.
The ’10 Million Meals’ campaign will support people who got into problems because of the coronavirus. The campaign will give meals to individuals and families, too. Dubai’s ruler got this idea because he wanted to help people in UAE. When someone donates money, or one meal is ready, the building switches on.
After two weeks, the campaign raised more than $3 million dollars. That was enough money to make 1.2 million meals. UAE officials are happy, and they said that it was the sign of people’s unity.
Difficult words: campaign (planned activities over a period of time that help to reach a goal), donate (to give money to help a person or organization), unity (when people have similar ideas and they feel connected).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.