100 Years of the Word Robot – level 3
The word ´robot´ was first used in a Czech-language science fiction play called ‘R.U.R.’ (‘Rossum´s Universal Robots’) by Karel Čapek in January 1921.
The word ´robot´ was formed from the Czech word ´robota´ which roughly translates as ´forced labor´. The play was about a factory that made artificial people who eventually overpowered the human race. Since then, the theme of robot revolt has had a huge impact on popular culture, and it inspired scripts for films such as ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Blade Runner’.
In the years Čapek´s play first premiered, various kinds of robots have been programmed to carry out all sorts of tasks. They can disinfect hospital floors, check in hotel guests, keep company, serve meals, encourage social distancing; and even provide entertainment.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.