102-year-old man beats COVID-19 – level 3
Russian WWII a veteran Nikolai Bagayev said that he cheated death twice. First, he cheated it when the German troops invaded the Soviet Union, and now he cheated it against COVID-19.
The 102-year-old is part of a shrinking group of veterans who were revered in Russia for their role in defeating Nazi Germany in WWII. Bagayev worked in the Soviet republic of Kazakhstan where he helped build the Baikonur Cosmodrome, the world’s first and largest space launch facility that sent the first man into space in 1961.
Bagayev had 80% lung damage when he was admitted to hospital in a town near the capital of Moscow, and he spent over a month there, including a week in intensive care.
Bagayev was finally discharged last week on Thursday, saying a huge thank you to the doctors who saved him. The man also said that he learned a breathing technique from Soviet cosmonauts that helped him recover from COVID-19.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.