11th Earth Hour – level 1
An interesting event happens around the world. It is the 11th Earth Hour. It happens every year.
People turn off the lights at iconic landmarks. They do this to teach other people about climate change. An organisation runs this event. It wants to teach people to think about the environment. It wants people to want to help the environment.
In London, Big Ben’s lights go off. You can hardly see it even though it is so big!
Difficult words: Earth Hour (an event to bring people together to help the environment – nature all over the planet), iconic landmark (a building you can recognise for being in a specific place), climate change (an idea that our environment is changing and it is because of people), environment (nature – plants and animals).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos