11th Earth Hour – level 2
Around the world, people turned off the lights at iconic landmarks for the 11th annual Earth Hour for people to be aware of climate change.
An organisation runs this event to tell people that they need to support the environment all around the planet.
In London, Big Ben’s lights went off and people could barely see it!
Difficult words: iconic landmark (a recognisable building or other structure in a place), Earth Hour (an event to bring people together to protect the planet), climate change (an idea that our environment is changing and it is partly because of what people are doing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.