2024 Doomsday Clock – level 2
The Doomsday Clock remains at 90 seconds to global catastrophe. It is the closest point to midnight ever.
The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists explains the main reasons why our planet is so close to a catastrophe. These are global instability due to Russia’s war in Ukraine, war in Gaza, Middle East conflicts, little progress in talks about nuclear weapons, little progress in climate change, and risks from artificial intelligence.
The Board said that the situation didn’t get any better since last year. Scientists worry the United States will take part in a Middle East war, world temperatures will rise, and artificial intelligence will become dangerous. They ask world leaders to deal with these problems quickly.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the main concerns of scientists according to the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists and what actions do they believe world leaders should take to address these issues?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.