2024 Doomsday Clock – level 3
The Doomsday Clock remains at 90 seconds to global catastrophe, according to the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists.
Persistent global instability is attributed to factors such as Russia’s ongoing war in Ukraine, Israel’s actions following an Oct. 7 attack, Middle East proxy battles, stalled nuclear arms control talks, insufficient progress on climate change, and increasing risks associated with artificial intelligence and emerging technologies. The Board of Atomic Scientists emphasizes that the situation is not improving compared to the previous year.
The potential for the United States being drawn into a war involving Israel and other Middle Eastern countries, climate change, record temperatures, and challenges posed by artificial intelligence are key concerns. The Board urges global leaders to take more decisive actions to address these threats.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are the key concerns outlined by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists and why is the Board urging global leaders to take more decisive actions?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.