37 years since Chernobyl disaster – level 2
37 years ago, on April 26, the worst nuclear disaster in history happened and it caused radioactive contamination in Eastern Europe.
Chernobyl nuclear power plant is located about 100 kilometers north of Kyiv. The accident happened during a safety test in the fourth reactor of the plant. The explosion sent nuclear material across Europe. 31 people died immediately and up to 115,000 people died of radiation-related illnesses. Tens of thousands of people had to leave their homes. Last week, former workers and survivors remembered the anniversary with a night vigil.
The president of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky, warned that Russia was using nuclear power plants as a way to threaten the world. During the first day of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, its troops took over Chernobyl and stayed there for a month before leaving.
Difficult words: contamination (making something impure or poisoned), survivor (someone who lives after something bad happens), vigil (an event when people stay quietly in a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some of the long-term effects of the Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster on the environment and human health?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos