8 billion people in world – level 3
This week, the world population reached 8 billion. China is the most populated country, but India is likely to surpass China in 2023. This year, each of those countries counted more than 1.4 billion residents.
India is facing challenges of crowded transport and overcrowded public spaces, and the biggest cities are coping with surging numbers of new residents.
According to the UN, China’s population will start to shrink in the next year. In 2021, the country’s fertility rate was one of the lowest in the world.
From 1980 to 2015, China’s strict one-child policy was in place to keep its population in check. In 2015, a two-child policy started so young people could help the rapidly aging population. In May 2021, Beijing announced a three-child policy for married couples. However, the cost is high for childcare for little children, and people don’t want to have children.
Difficult words: surpass (to be greater or better than something else), fertility rate (the average number of children born to a woman), in check (under control).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos