9/11 Trail – level 1
On September 11, 2001, 19 terrorists hijack four planes in the US. The planes crash in a few places.
Two places crash into the World Trade Center in New York. One plane crashes into the Pentagon in Washington D.C. The Pentagon is a government building. The fourth plane crashes in a field in Pennsylvania.
The Americans love trails and greenways. They cycle, run and hike on the trails. A man gets an idea. He wants to connect the three places of the attacks on 9/11. He wants to make a 9/11 trail.
People can enjoy the trail. They will remember the attacks, too. Many trails are already in the US. It is not easy to connect the 9/11 trail to them. Also, about a half of the 9/11 trail is on roads.
The 9/11 trail is about 1,300 miles long. People hope that the trail will be away from roads in the future.
Difficult words: hijack (to take a plane or other vehicle and drive it where you want to go), trail (a path in the countryside), greenway (a piece of land near a town where people spend free time in nature).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.