A Big Fire – level 2
A fire started in a residential building in South Korea. It started on the 12th floor, and it quickly spread to the top floor.
Hundreds of people left the building; however, 77 people escaped to the roof and other places. Emergency workers helped these people, while firefighters tried to stop the fire. Authorities said that the fire started at 11 PM, and firefighters finally put it out around 9 AM the next day.
Emergency workers helped 88 people who had minor injuries. Most people had problems to breathe because they inhaled smoke. Luckily, nobody died in the incident and authorities did not report any serious injuries.
Difficult words: put out (to stop something burning), minor injury (an injury that is not very serious), inhale (to breathe in).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos