A big hole can swallow a house – level 3
A huge sinkhole about 60 meters in diameter has appeared in farmers’ fields in central Mexico, threatening to swallow a nearby house. The sinkhole is around 20 meters deep. It is filled with water that is constantly moving around.
The family that lives close to the sinkhole has been evacuated. No one has been injured so far, but the governor warned local residents to stay away from the area.
The sinkhole measured five meters in diameter when it first appeared then grew quickly in just a few hours. The reason for the sinkhole might be the extraction of water from the ground, which softens the soil in lower levels.
Officials will now carry out an investigation into what happened. This process includes soil studies, and it could take up to 30 days.
Difficult words: diameter (how wide is a circle), extraction (the process of taking something from somewhere), carry out (to do).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos