A boy destroys a famous tree – level 1
Police in England arrest a young boy. The boy is only 16 years old. The police believe that the boy cuts down a very old and famous tree.
This tree is 300 years old. It is even in a Robin Hood movie. Kevin Costner plays in the movie. The police believe that someone cuts the tree down on purpose. It is not an accident.
People in the area are very unhappy about it. The tree is part of their lives. They want to plant new trees like the old one. But it will take many years before another tree grows. Many people say that it is not possible to replace the dead tree.
Difficult words: arrest (when police take hold of someone), on purpose (when you do something, usually something bad, because you want to do it), replace (to use or put something in a place or position of something else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the local community doing to ensure that another tree similar to the old one can grow in its place?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.