A boy destroys a famous tree – level 2
Police arrested a 16-year-old boy for cutting down a famous 300-year-old tree in Northumberland, England.
This tree was famous because it appeared in a Robin Hood movie, which starred Kevin Costner, and it meant a lot to many people. The police believe it was not an accident because someone carefully used a chainsaw to cut it down. This left people very sad and puzzled about why someone would do something like this.
People in the area are shocked by the loss of the tree, which was an important part of their community. There is a plan to plant a new tree in the same place, but it will take decades for it to grow. The police are asking for help from the public to provide any information which could help in their investigation.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What possible motive could the 16-year-old boy have had to cut down the famous 300-year-old tree?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.