A boy dies after TikTok challenge – level 1
Archie Battersbie is twelve years old. He lives with his family in Essex, UK. He is in a TikTok challenge called the “blackout challenge”.
Young children like to do the challenge. It is very dangerous. At home, Archie puts a belt around his neck. The belt makes him not breathe. He falls unconscious.
His mother finds Archie. He spends four months in hospital. Doctors say that his brain is dead. They say that he will never be healthy again. The boy has no oxygen for too long. Machines keep his body alive.
Doctors want to switch off the machines. Archie’s family is against the change. A court must decide. Last Sunday, doctors switch off the machines. The boy dies.
Difficult words: challenge (a difficult activity), unconscious (not able to wake), oxygen (a gas in air that people need to live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos