A boy dies after TikTok challenge – level 2
Archie Battersbie was a twelve-year-old boy from Essex, UK. In April this year, his mother found him at their home with a belt around his neck.
Archie was unconscious. His mother said that had participated in a dangerous challenge on TikTok.
Archie spent four months in a hospital, but he never woke. Doctors said that the boy’s brain was dead, and only the machines kept him alive. They said that Archie would never recover, and they suggested to switch off the machines.
Archie’s family didn’t agree, and in the end, a court decided the situation to let him die. Archie’s family fought hard, but doctors switched off the machines last week on Sunday, and then the boy died.
The “blackout challenge” on TikTok is popular with young children. They hold their breath or choke, and sometimes they become unconscious.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.