A boy dies after TikTok challenge – level 3
In April, twelve-year-old Archie Battersbie suffered traumatic brain injuries after an incident at home. Doctors and his family battled in court over whether to continue life-support treatment; however, he died on August 6, 2022.
In April, Archie’s mother found him unconscious with a ligature over his head at their home in Essex, UK. She believed that he had taken part in a dangerous TikTok challenge known as the “blackout challenge”. In this challenge, young people hold their breath, or they choke until they become unconscious due to lack of oxygen.
Since that time, the boy was in a coma, and doctors kept him alive with life support treatments. Doctors declared him to be brain dead, which began a lengthy legal battle with the boy’s family who wanted treatment for his recovery. A court decided the boy’s best interest was to end the support, which the doctors did last Sunday.
Difficult words: ligature (a tightly tied or bound thing), coma (deep unconsciousness when a person responds to nothing, usually because of an injury or illness), best interest (a decision how to take care of someone who cannot choose).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos