A boy drives a forklift truck – level 3
In Michigan, the United States, a 12-year-old boy took control of a stolen forklift truck, leading police on a one-hour chase during which he collided with approximately 10 parked cars.
The truck which weighed almost 9 tons, was taken from a middle school in Ann Arbor. An investigation revealed the child had found the vehicle’s key in the cab of the unlocked ‘Genie GTH-636 Telehandler’. Police responded to a report that somebody was attempting to steal a construction vehicle at 6:45 pm. When they arrived they saw a forklift truck being driven away without any lights on. Pursuing the forklift at a speed of 25 to 30 kph with emergency lights and sirens, the situation posed a serious risk.
Despite the danger, the pursuit ended without injuries, and the boy, whose identity remains undisclosed due to being a minor, was apprehended and placed in juvenile detention.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you believe could have motivated the 12-year-old boy to commandeer the forklift truck?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.