A boy shoots his teacher – level 2
Last week, a six-year-old boy brought a gun to school, and he shot his teacher.
The incident happened at an elementary school in Virginia, United States, and police said that it was not an accident. The boy pointed the gun at the teacher, and he shot her in the hand and chest. Luckily, the 25-year-old woman survived and she is in stable condition at a hospital.
The law says that a 7-year-old child is able to understand what a crime is. According to a lawyer from the University of Richmond, a child needs to understand who a judge and a prosecutor are, how a trial works, and he also needs to know his rights. A child who is only six years old can’t understand all these things. The boy is in custody now, and it is possible that his mother will face charges because she bought the gun.
Difficult words: stable condition (when someone’s health is not likely to get worse), prosecutor (a lawyer who works for the government, and he tries to prove that someone did something wrong), face charges (to be officially accused of a crime).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.