A bridge collapses – level 2
Some weeks ago, a heatwave hit Pakistan and India, and high temperatures melted the area glaciers faster.
Experts watched one of the glacier lakes in the past month, and they saw it had 40% more water than usual. On Saturday, a Shipser lake burst, and it caused floods in the Hunza Valley.
The floods destroyed a historic bridge, which connected northern Pakistan and China. It was part of the Karakoram highway, and when in collapsed, thousands of people couldn’t leave the area. The bridge was one of the highest paved bridges in the world, and many tourists visited it.
Pakistan is the country with the world’s most glaciers, and experts worry that more floods will happen more often in the future.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.