A cool manoeuvre – level 3
This amazing and rather dizzying footage captures the moment a Boeing 787–9 takes off at what appears to be an almost vertical ninety degrees. The impressive manoeuvre which took place over Moses Lake in Washington State was part of a rehearsal for this month’s Paris Air Show.
The 787–9, better known as the Dreamliner, is the biggest plane Boeing makes.
Most airliners normally take off at around 10 to 15 degree angle, making the footage of this stunt even more astonishing.
Boeing says it spotlights technical manoeuvres that showcase some of the airplane’s many capabilities.
The –9 is the second incarnation of the Dreamliner and features a stretched fuselage, allowing the plane to carry more passengers and cargo even further. Boeing officials declined to divulge the actual banking and ascent angles but they’re clearly steeper and sharper than any manoeuvres the state-of-the-art aircraft makes in its everyday chores, ferrying commercial flyers around the world.
The Dreamliner series first debuted in 2011 with the latest version, the one shown in the video, coming off the assembly line in 2013. The next Dreamliner, the 787–10, is expected to begin commercial service in 2018.
Difficult words: dizzying (making you dizzy – not well), rehearsal (practice), stunt (something dangerous and cool), astonishing (amazing), spotlight (show), incarnation (version), fuselage (the main body of an aeroplane), divulge (tell), debut (first public appearance), assembly line (the line in a factory).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.