A court bans a Russian newspaper – level 2
Novaya Gazeta is one of the few last Russian independent newspapers. It started almost 30 years ago, and it was one of the most important investigative newspapers in the country.
In March, Novaya Gazeta stopped its work in Russia. Officials said that the newspaper didn’t write the truth about the war in Ukraine. Last week, a court banned Novaya Gazeta in Russia, and Russian authorities stopped its online publications in Europe.
Dmitri Muratov, the newspaper’s boss, said that there was no legal reason for the ban. The court said that Novaya Gazeta didn’t have some documents from the year 2006. Novaya Gazeta will appeal against the court’s decision, but Muratov said that he didn’t expect any change.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.