A dress with a QR code – level 3
An Egyptian designer created a smart dress with a QR code on its sleeve. A wearer can scan the code for a guide to the country’s most famous tourist attractions.
Designer Alaa Ahmed El-Sheishtawy embroidered the dress with pharaonic designs as well as the code to help tourists discover historic sites. Tourists can get information on places like museums, mosques, and ancient sites, including their names, addresses, operating hours, and ticket prices. The code will help them plan out their days in Egypt. Tourists can learn about what they’re seeing, and they get information about the artifacts at each site, which is very helpful especially if they don’t have a guide with them.
Ahmed hopes to grow her ‘Pharose’ fashion line and to create options for men and children.
Difficult words: embroider (to decorate cloth by sewing patterns on it with a needle), pharaonic (relating to a pharaoh, a king of ancient Egypt), artifact (an object that’s made by a person, and it’s historically or culturally interesting).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.