A flying boat – level 2
An unusual race happened in France last week. Athletes raced in ’flying boats’ which were boats that were powered by pedaling.
Nicolas Picard started the company JetCycle in 2020, but the idea of a flying boat came from two French professors in 2013. Picard explained that using a JetCycle boat looked like boat cycling. Then he put foil in the front and at the back, which made the boat fly. The boat cold move at the speed of around 9 kilometers per hour.
Picard hopes that people will enjoy this new activity, which combines sailing and cycling. One boat costs 12,000 euros, and Picard wants to sell 100 boats in the next three years.
Difficult words: pedal (to use your legs and feet to move a bicycle), foil (a piece of very thin material), combine (to put two or more things together to make one thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos