A gang kidnaps people – level 2
Last week, a Haitian gang kidnapped 17 people who were on a religious visit to Haiti.
16 Americans, one Canadian and five children were going to visit a home for orphans in the town of Ganthier when a group of men kidnapped them. The men belonged to the 400 Mawozo gang, and they asked Haitian officials to pay 17 million dollars. If officials paid the money, the gang would release 17 people.
In the first eight months of 2020, there were 234 kidnappings in Haiti. This year, the number is 628 already, which is almost three times more. The situation in the country got much worse after the murder of President Moise in July. US officials promised that they would help Haiti’s National Police fight with increasing kidnappings in the country.
Difficult words: kidnap (to illegally take a person by force and to ask for some money to let them go), orphan (a child whose parents are dead), release (to let somebody go).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos