A Lake Is Full of Fish Again – level 3
North Macedonia’s fishermen say that the future of Lake Dojran looks brighter with rising water levels and increasing number of fish.
The lake has an area of 43 km2 and it is shared between North Macedonia and Greece. Due to the overuse of the lake’s water for agricultural purposes, this Balkan lake almost disappeared when it lost two thirds of its water in the 1990s, and local fisheries and tourism nearly collapsed. To reverse the decline, the countries took measures to replenish and sustain the lake’s water levels. North Macedonia began pumping water from underground sources, and frequent and heavy rainfalls in the last years also helped restore the lake’s water levels.
Local fishermen say that there are now more fish in the lake; however, scientists say that people still face the consequences of the flora and fauna in the lake. There are sources of pollution that affect the water quality, and the level of water still isn’t properly regulated.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.