A lion escapes from a circus – level 2
A lion named Kimba escaped from a circus near Rome, Italy.
Mayor Alessandro Grando warned residents to stay home as police and circus staff worked to catch the lion. The man who was responsible for circus animals assured that the lion was not dangerous. At last, the police sedated and captured the animal, but local people worried very much. The mayor hoped that the incident would end animal exploitation in circuses.
Once again, animal rights groups spoke about how dangerous it was to keep animals in circuses. Many people and organizations ask for a ban on using wild animals in entertainment which is still legal in Italy.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What steps could the Italian government take to better protect wild animals and help prevent similar escapes from happening in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.