A man and his dog spend two months at sea – level 3
51-year-old Australian Tim Shaddock and his dog Bella have been rescued after two months at sea. The pair apparently survived by drinking rainwater and eating raw fish.
The fisherman and his dog set off from La Paz in Mexico in April. He intended to sail his catamaran to French Polynesia; however, storms knocked out his onboard electronics in May. Shaddock was then left stranded in the middle of the Pacific Ocean until a tuna fishing boat’s scout helicopter spotted his stricken vessel.
Despite the ordeal, Shaddock remained in good health. He’d covered himself under a canopy to prevent serious sunburn, and Bella, his canine companion, also fared well during the rescue.
The pair is now being transported back to Mexico, where Shaddock will receive further medical attention.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What challenges did Tim Shaddock and Bella face during their two-month ordeal in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.