A man kills a politician in a church – level 1
David Amess is a British politician. He belongs to the same political group as the British Prime Minister Boris Johnson. He dies last week.
Amess is in a church in Essex. He meets with his voters. A man runs in the church. He holds a knife. He attacks Amess. Amess dies. It is not possible to save his life.
Police arrest the attacker. The man is 25 years old. He is British. He comes from Somalia. Police say that it is a terrorist attack.
Another attack on a politician happens in 2016. A man kills Jo Cox. The British government says that it is important to keep politicians safe.
Difficult words: church (a building where Christians or Catholics meet), voter (a person who chooses someone to do a job in politics), terrorist attack (when someone kills or hurts other people because they believe and do different things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.