A man kills a politician in a church – level 3
A British lawmaker from Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Conservative Party was stabbed to death in a church by a man who attacked him. It was during a meeting with voters from his district.
David Amess was the member of Parliament for south and west Essex, England. He was targeted around midday, and emergency services fought for his life inside the church in Leigh-on-Sea; however, it was in vain. Police arrested a 25-year-old man on suspicion of murder after they arrived on the scene, and they recovered a knife. According to officials, the man was a British national of Somali heritage.
Amess had been an MP since 1983, and he was married with five children. He was known politically as a social conservative and as a famous politician against abortion and for animal welfare issues. He’s the second serving MP to be killed in the past five years, following the murder of politician Jo Cox in 2016 outside a library in West Yorkshire.
Difficult words: in vain (without success or a desired result), MP (a Member of Parliament), social conservative (a person whose political ideas focus on traditional leadership roles and social issues).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.