A man lives underwater – level 2
Joseph Dituri is a university professor also known as ’’Dr. Deep Sea’’. He just broke the record for the longest time living underwater without depressurization in Florida, United States.
Dituri spent 74 days in Jules’ Undersea Lodge since March 1, where he eats meals which are rich in protein. He exercises and takes daily experiments to see how his body responds to extreme pressure. Dituri is living at the bottom of a 9-meter-deep lagoon in Key Largo, at a lodge which doesn’t use any technology to reduce the underwater pressure. The man plans to stay at the lodge until June 9 and complete an underwater mission called Project Neptune 100. The mission includes medical and ocean research.
During his stay, Dituri reached over 2,500 students through online classes in marine science and biomedical engineering courses at the University of South Florida.
Difficult words: depressurization (reducing pressure), lodge (a small house), marine (related to sea and oceans).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact will "Project Neptune 100" have on the ocean and the environment?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos