A man mustn’t donate sperm – level 1
Jonathan Meijer comes from the Netherlands. He donates sperm. A Dutch court says that he is a father of around 500 to 600 children in the world.
The court says that the man must stop giving sperm. He can get a fine of 110,000 dollars for each time he does. The man must ask clinics in other countries to destroy his sperm. Only parents who already have children by Meijer can use his sperm.
Some parents say that Meijer’s donations are not fair to his donor children. They worry that some of the children can have a relationship with each other.
Difficult words: fine (money which someone has to pay when he breaks a rule), donation (what someone gives to help someone else who is in a difficult situation), donor (a person who gives something to someone else as help).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What legal implications do the Dutch court decision have for parents with donor children in other countries?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos