A Man Rows across the Atlantic – level 3
A 70-year-old man has become the oldest person to row across the Atlantic unassisted.
Frank Rothwell from Oldham, UK, rowed solo 4,800 kilometers from Tenerife to Antigua and Barbuda. He set off from the Canary Islands on December 12, 2020, in a boat nicknamed ’Never Too Old,’ and the journey lasted 56 days, 2 hours and 41 minutes. Rothwell said that crossing the finish line was a completely euphoric moment, and he paid tribute to his brother-in-law who died from the Alzheimer’s disease during the journey.
It took six weeks to row the Atlantic; however, the challenge itself took over 18 months of training and preparation. Rothwell raised over 890,000 dollars for Alzheimer’s Research UK, and he spread awareness and inspired people of all ages to take on their own challenges.
Difficult words: solo (done by one person alone), euphoric (feeling intense excitement and happiness), Alzheimer’s disease (a neurological disease that causes brain cells to die).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos