A man with amputated legs climbs Mount Everest – level 2
Hari Budha Magar is a soldier veteran who lost both his legs in an explosion in Afghanistan. Last week, reached the summit of Mount Everest. He became the first person with double above-the-knee amputations to do it.
Budha Magar began the climb on April 17, exactly 13 years after doctors amputated his legs. It was not an easy task. He and his team waited for clear weather at the Everest base camp for 18 days. Their equipment froze and they had only a limited amount of oxygen. They saw dead climbers on the way.
Throughout his journey, Budha Magar got support from a team of Nepalese climbers.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What inspired Hari Budha Magar to summit Mount Everest?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.