A Man without Arms and Legs – level 3
Youssef Abu Amira is a Palestinian law school graduate who was born without legs and with only partially developed arms. He says that his belief in God and satisfaction with himself helped him persevere in his situation.
However, he never let disabilities hold him back, and he has taken up a new challenge, karate. Youssef says that he has enough perseverance, determination, and ability to challenge the situation that he is in. He loves life and he wants to live.
Karate is a Japanese art of self-defense, employing hand strikes and kicks to disable an opponent. Youssef delivers strong punches, and his dream is to take part in international competitions.
Difficult words: persevere (to continue to do or try to achieve something difficult), perseverance (continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties), determination (a strong intention to achieve something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos