A model is not pretty anymore – level 2
In the 1990s, Linda Evangelista was a very popular supermodel, and people saw her pictures on magazine covers.
Last week, the Canadian model said on her social media that she had several surgery treatments between 2015 and 2016. Plastic surgeons removed fat on some parts of her body, but the surgeries had problems.
The woman´s body swelled, and she did not look as pretty as before. She could not do her job anymore, and she suffered from depression. She did not want to leave her home or see other people.
Evangelista sued the company 50 million dollars. She said that the company did not tell her about the possible problems, and they did not help her fix the problems which she had after the surgeries.
Difficult words: cover (the front page of a magazine), plastic surgeon (a doctor who fixes or changes parts of the body), swell (when a part of the body becomes larger and rounder than usual), sue (to tell a court that you want money from someone).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.