A new diabetes test – level 3
Australian scientists say that they´ve developed the ´holy grail´ of blood sugar testing for diabetics. A non-invasive strip checks glucose levels through saliva.
Scientists have developed a way of embedding an enzyme that detects glucose directly into a transistor, which is a very sensitive amplifier. The enzyme turns glucose into a signal that the transistor can detect. The transistor can be manufactured at a low cost using simple printing techniques because the electronic materials are all inks.
Scientists believe that this test is going to radically change the way we think about medical devices and sensors in particular. At the moment, the test is going to start clinical trials before it can be manufactured at a large scale.
Difficult words: holy grail (something that people want very much to have or achieve), embed (to fix firmly and deeply in a surrounding solid mass), enzyme (a substance in the body that helps it work), amplifier (an electronic device that increases the power of a signal).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.