A new throne – level 1
The Coronation Chair is a chair which is for the coronation of British kings and queens.
The chair is more than 700 years old. King Edward I orders to make the chair in 1296. A special stone from Scotland is in the chair. It is called the Stone of Destiny. The chair also colored glass and layers of gold on it. But over the years, the chair gets old. It is necessary to make it look new again.
The coronation of almost all British kings and queens happens on this chair. King Charles’s own mother, Elizabeth II, becomes the queen on the chair. On May 6, Charles III will officially become the king on this chair, too.
Difficult words: coronation (the ceremony at which a person becomes a king or queen), layer (a thin sheet of a material or substance).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Who made the Coronation Chair?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos