A new throne – level 2
Restorers are repairing the Coronation Chair, which King Charles will be crowned on in May.
King Edward I ordered to make the chair in 1296. He brought the Stone of Destiny from Scotland to include it in the chair. Since that time, almost all monarchs were crowned on the chair, including King Henry VIII, Queen Victoria, and Elizabeth II, Charles’s own mother. The chair is the oldest piece of furniture which people still use for its original purpose.
The oak chair had layers of gold and colored glass on it. But over the centuries, the gold started to flake off. It is necessary to make it look new again and prepare it for this year’s coronation.
Difficult words: crown (to put a crown on someone’s head to make them a king or queen), monarch (a head of state, usually a king or queen), purpose (the reason for which something exists), coronation (the ceremony at which a person becomes a king or queen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the oldest piece of furniture still in use for its original purpose?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.