A new way to save rhinos – level 1
Poachers in Africa kill rhinos. They sell their horns. People in Asia buy them. They believe that rhino horns will make them live longer.
Some rich people also feel more special when they buy rhino horns. Rhino horns are very expensive. One kilo costs tens of thousands of dollars.
Researchers have an interesting idea. They make rhino horns radioactive. Researchers believe that people will not want to buy something radioactive.
It will be easier to catch people who take rhino horns out from Africa. Some ports and airports have special monitors. They find radioactive things. It is good news for African rhinos.
Difficult words: poacher (a person who kills animals when it is against the law), horn (a hard thing or two things which grow on the head of some animals), radioactive (when a very dangerous energy comes from breaking the smallest parts of things which are called atoms, and this energy has an effect on things around it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.