A new way to save rhinos – level 2
Researchers in South Africa are testing a new method to stop the illegal killing of rhinos. Poachers kill rhinos for their horns which are important mainly for people in Asia. They believe that rhino horns will make them live longer.
Also, rich people buy rhino horns because they want to have something that people cannot normally buy. The price of one kilogram of rhino horns can be tens of thousands of dollars.
Researchers find a way on how to make rhino horns less attractive. They put a radioactive material into the horns. Researchers hope that people will not want to buy something radioactive. Also, it will be easier to track smugglers. Some ports, airports, and border crossings use special monitors which can find radioactive material.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.