A nurse kills babies – level 2
Manchester Crown Court found a nurse Lucy Letby guilty of murdering seven newborn babies. The court also said that Letby attempted to kill six more at a hospital in England where she worked.
After a 10-month trial, the court declared Letby the worst child killer in the country. She injected insulin or air into the babies, and she also forced them to drink milk. These things usually happened at night. The hospital staff noticed unusual deaths and called the police.
Letby left a note at her home where she said that she was guilty. Although she seemed like a nice person on social media, the court had evidence that she wanted to hurt babies. The incidents took place between June 2015 and June 2016.
Difficult words: insulin (a hormone which regulates sugar in the blood), guilty (when someone does something bad and other people know it), evidence (information or things which show that someone did something wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What motivated Lucy Letby to commit such heinous acts?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.