A painting robot – level 2
FRIDA is a robot which can paint. It looks like a robotic arm with a brush.
An operator tells FRIDA what concept it will paint. The robot then makes a plan of what to paint, and it prepares a palette. When the robot starts painting, an overhead camera checks its work. If FRIDA makes a mistake, it includes the splotch in the painting. It is the same thing what artists do.
It is hard to say if FRIDA is a painter or not. Painters watch the world around them and listen to what people say, and they then distill their ideas into a painting. In a way, it is what the robot does, too.
Difficult words: palette (a thing board which an artist uses to mix colors), splotch (a mark or spot that does not have a regular shape), distill (to reduce something but to keep the most important part).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the difference between a robot and an artist?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos