A Perfect Diamond – level 2
In 2018, miners in Canada discovered a rough diamond that weighed 271 carats. Diamond cutters cut and polished it, and they made a 102-carat oval diamond.
Last week, the auction house Sotheby’s in Hong Kong sold the diamond for $15.7 million. A man from Japan bought the stone, and he named it after his second daughter. Last year, the same man bought another big diamond, and he named it after his first daughter.
The diamond is very special because it is a rare white diamond. It has the right color and it is very clear, which makes it perfect and very expensive. When Sotheby’s announced that they would sell the diamond, many people made a bid. The highest online bid was $14.6 million, which was the highest online bid in history.
Difficult words: carat (a unit that measures the weight and value of gold and diamonds), auction house (a place where people sell and buy expensive things like paintings or jewelry), bid (when somebody offers a price of something that he wants to buy).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.