A Place to Sleep – level 2
A team of people made a special sleeping pod for homeless people. They are testing it in the city of Ulm, Germany.
It is necessary to check if the pod is warm enough to keep homeless people safe from cold and wind. If the test is successful, the team wants to put the pods in other German cities, too. The pod has a solar panel on the roof which makes light and it also opens the door. The pod is from metal and wood and it is suitable for one person. The door unlocks in the evening and someone, who has no place to sleep, can stay inside. The pod is warm and there is fresh air inside.
When the door opens, social workers get a message. They check and clean the place the next day to make sure that it is ready for another person.
Difficult words: pod (a small narrow space which people usually use to keep something inside), homeless (a person who has no home), solar panel (a device which uses energy from the sun to make electricity).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.